Porcelain veneers are one of the most effective dental treatment methods for transforming the appearance of your smile. A cosmetic dentist in Westborough, Dr. Patel can create a personalized smile makeover treatment plan using porcelain veneers to address a wide range of concerns or aesthetic goals. From discolored teeth to closing gaps between teeth, porcelain veneers are made to blend in with your existing teeth and provide a lasting outcome.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
A type of dental veneer, porcelain veneers are made from an ultra-thin, high-quality ceramic material that has several important qualities:
- Stain resistant: your new veneers will be stain-resistant when compared to cosmetic bonding and natural tooth enamel.
- Durable: porcelain ceramic is highly durable and will last for many years with proper care.
- Natural color and light reflection: the various properties of porcelain veneers provide a beautiful result that blends with your natural smile seamlessly.
Porcelain veneers are considered a permanent restoration due to the amount of tooth structure that is typically removed to place them securely. With the care of an experienced cosmetic dentist, you can enjoy your smile makeover for a lifetime. We recommend that patients maintain their new smiles with a good at-home oral hygiene routine and regular dental care.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Veneers can reshape teeth. They are placed onto the front of the tooth, covering the front and sides, completely altering the tooth’s appearance in the process. We can use them to address issues with the shape of the tooth, mask serious teeth stains, and close any gaps between the teeth. They can even be used to correct the appearance of minor alignment problems as well.
- We also offer minimal-prep veneers. While traditional veneers require the removal of a thin layer of enamel, we also have an option that requires no removal of tooth structure. Minimal prep veneers can be created and placed by altering or removing tooth structure. They can still provide lifelike smile improvement as well.
- Porcelain veneers look natural. We create them using porcelain, a strong material that is translucent and reflects light in a similar manner as natural tooth enamel. The material can even be shaded to better blend with your smile.
- Veneers can last for decades. Like crowns, proper oral hygiene and routine visits with Dr. Patel can help ensure the restoration lasts for decades. If you have any questions about improving smiles with a restoration, contact our office today.
Getting Porcelain Veneers in Westborough MA
A smile makeover or restoration using porcelain veneers will begin with a consultation to evaluate your needs and goals. Dr. Patel is experienced in the art and science of cosmetic dentistry and will create a customized plan to meet your aesthetic goals and go over all aspects of the proposed treatment.
The placement of porcelain veneers will require 2-3 visits. The first step is to prepare the teeth receiving veneers by removing a small amount of the surface tooth structure. After this is complete, dental impressions will be taken and temporary veneers will be placed until the final restorations are complete.
Once complete, we place your new veneers and make any adjustments needed for comfort, fit, and stability. The porcelain veneers are permanently attached and then polished for a smooth texture and natural appearance.
Dental Veneers FAQs
Can porcelain veneers be repaired?
Although a highly durable material, they can crack or chip when highly stressed due to trauma. Dr. Patel can repair damage to your porcelain veneers using a composite resin, much like tooth bonding. Although not as strong as the original ceramic material it can stabilize the veneer and prevent further deterioration. Repairs are only temporary. You may need to eventually replace the veneer.
Can porcelain veneers fix gaps between the teeth?
Yes, porcelain veneers can be placed to close tooth gaps. They are perfect for patients that want to close the gap between their front teeth. Dr. Patel will determine if porcelain veneers are the best option for closing a diastema.
Are porcelain veneers permanent?
Since a small part of the tooth requires removal for placement of the veneers, porcelain veneers are considered to be permanent. Once you receive them, there is no going back. If necessary, porcelain veneers can be removed, but the teeth would not be aesthetically attractive until new veneers have been placed.
How long can I expect my porcelain veneers to last?
Provided that you practice proper oral hygiene, including daily brushing and flossing, your porcelain veneers can be expected to last for decades. Even though porcelain veneers are quite thin, they are extremely strong and chip resistant.
Schedule a Cosmetic Consultation
Schedule a visit to Westborough Dental Associates online, or call our office today at 508.342.1519.