Porcelain veneers are one of the most effective cosmetic dental treatment methods for transforming the look of your smile. Our cosmetic dentist in Westborough can address a wide range of concerns and aesthetic goals with porcelain veneers. For example, Dr. Patel can create a smile makeover treatment plan to address stained teeth, close gaps between teeth, and repair chipped teeth. Porcelain veneers blend in with your existing teeth and provide a lasting outcome.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
A porcelain veneer is an ultra-thin, high-quality ceramic shell that covers the front surfaces of teeth. Porcelain veneers are a permanent restoration. This is because of the amount of tooth structure that your dentist will remove to securely place the veneer on your tooth. This type of dental veneer has many key qualities, such as:
- Stain resistant: Your new veneers are more stain-resistant than cosmetic bonding and natural tooth enamel.
- Durable: Porcelain ceramic is very strong and will last for many years with proper care. However, you should treat your veneer like a real tooth because they can chip and break with enough pressure.
- Natural color and light reflection: Your dentist will provide tooth-colored veneers that will match your existing teeth. The many traits of porcelain veneers provide a beautiful result that blends with your natural smile seamlessly.
With the care of our experienced cosmetic dentist, you can enjoy your smile makeover for a lifetime. We recommend that patients maintain their new smiles with a good at-home oral hygiene routine and regular dental care.
Getting Porcelain Veneers in Westborough, MA
A smile makeover or repair using porcelain veneers will begin with a consult. Our dentist will evaluate your needs and goals to create a custom veneers treatment plan. First, he will go over all aspects of the proposed treatment with you.
The placement of porcelain veneers will require 2-3 visits. The first step is to prepare the teeth receiving the veneers. Your dentist will remove a small amount of the surface tooth structure. After this is complete, your dentist will take dental impressions to use to create the custom veneers. Also, he may place temporary veneers until the final restorations are complete.
Once complete, Dr. Patel will place your new veneers and make any adjustments for comfort, fit, and stability. He will permanently attach the porcelain veneers after your approval. Then he will polish them for a smooth texture and natural look. If your teeth have satins, we may recommend a teeth whitening treatment before attaching your new veneers.
The Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Dental veneers can reshape teeth. They completely alter the tooth’s look in the process because they cover the front and sides of the tooth. Your dentist can use them to address issues with the shape of the tooth, mask deep tooth stains, and close any gaps between the teeth. They can even hide minor alignment problems that are not affecting your oral health as well.
- We also offer minimal-prep veneers. Traditional dental veneers require removing a thin layer of enamel. Minimal-prep veneers require almost no removal of tooth structure. Our dentist can create and place minimal-prep veneers without altering or removing tooth structure. They can still provide lifelike smile improvement as well.
- Porcelain veneers look natural. Porcelain is a strong material that is translucent and reflects light in a similar manner that real tooth enamel does. Dr. Patel can adjust the color of each veneer to better blend with your smile.
- Veneers can last for decades. Like dental crowns, proper oral hygiene and routine visits with Dr. Patel will ensure that the restoration lasts for decades. If you have any questions about improving smiles with a restoration, contact our office today.
Dental Veneers FAQs
Can a dentist repair porcelain veneers?
Although a highly strong material, they can crack or chip when highly stressed due to trauma. Dr. Patel can repair damage to your porcelain veneers using a composite resin, much like tooth bonding treatment. Although not as strong as the original ceramic material, it can stabilize the veneer and prevent further deterioration. However, repairs are only temporary. You may need to eventually replace the veneer.
Can porcelain veneers fix gaps between the teeth?
Yes, we can place porcelain veneers to close tooth gaps. They are perfect for patients that want to close the gap between their front teeth. Dr. Patel will determine if porcelain veneers are the best option for closing a diastema.
Are porcelain veneers permanent?
Since a small part of the tooth requires removal for this process, porcelain veneers are permanent. Once you receive them, there is no going back. Your dentist can remove the porcelain veneer if necessary. But the teeth would not be aesthetically attractive until you get new replacement veneers.
How long can I expect my porcelain veneers to last?
If you practice proper oral hygiene, including daily brushing and flossing, your porcelain veneers can last for decades. Even though porcelain veneers are quite thin, they are extremely strong and chip resistant.
Dr. Patel has vast experience in the art and science of cosmetic dentistry. Schedule a visit to Westborough Dental Associates online, or call our office today at 508.342.1519. We serve the Westborough, MA area and surrounding neighborhoods.